- Evaporation from reservoirs leads to huge water loss from the reservoirs and natural sources of water like lakes, ponds, rivers, wells, and other freshwater bodies.
- Evaporation from reservoirs is a serious problem in summer.
What could be a solution to prevent evaporation from reservoirs?
- Is there less evaporation if the surface is covered? But how? We can’t put a huge cap to cover a reservoir.
- Is there some other way of covering the surface to prevent evaporation?
We all know that oil is lighter and can float on water.
Why not pour oil on reservoirs to prevent evaporation?
It is not a good idea to pour oil into reservoirs to prevent evaporation.
i) Oil is a non-polar substance that does not mix with water.
ii) Pouring oil into a reservoir could have negative consequences like contaminating the water with oil and harming aquatic life. The film of oil shuts off air from the surface of the water. We will kill the fish.
iii) Oil spills can also be difficult and expensive to clean up.
iv) They can have long-term environmental impacts.
We need a substance that does everything that oil can do and also allows air to pass through and dissolve in water.
Such a substance is cetyl alcohol.
-It is a waxy substance that spreads out as a thin film over water surface.
-The thin film blocks evaporation.
-cetyl alcohol doesnot dissolve or give a taste to water.
-Its own evaporation is extremely slow.
-Air can pass through the thin film easily.
-It is almost seen as a perfect solution to the problem of evaporation from reserviors
What is Cetyl alcohol?
-Cetyl alcohol is a fatty alcohol.
– The Chemical formula of cetyl alcohol is
-It is a white, waxy solid that is derived from fats and oils, and is used in a variety of products including cosmetics, pharmaceuticals, and food. In cosmetics, cetyl alcohol is used as an emulsion stabilizer,
an opacifier, and a foam booster.
-It is also used as an ingredient in creams, lotions, and other skin care products to give them a smooth, creamy texture.
-In the food industry, cetyl alcohol is used as an emulsifier and a thickening agent.
-It is generally considered safe for use in cosmetics and food, although it may cause skin irritation in some people.
It is not typical to use cetyl alcohol for the purpose of preventing evaporation in reservoirs. Why?
-It is not typically used to prevent evaporation in reservoirs because it is not very effective at preventing evaporation.
.-It is important to choose the right method for preventing evaporation in reservoirs, as this can have a significant impact on the overall efficiency of the system.
-If we are looking for ways to reduce evaporation in a reservoir, it would be worth considering some of the alternatives to cetyl alcohol.
What are the other methods for reducing evaporation from natural resources?
There are a number of ways to reduce evaporation from reservoirs:
- Use a cover or lid: By reducing the surface area of the reservoir that is exposed to the air, we can reduce the amount of evaporation that occurs.
- Install a vapor barrier:-Some reservoirs may be equipped with a vapor barrier or coating, such as polyethylene or polypropylene, which have low permeability and can help reduce the amount of vapor that escapes from the reservoir.-Also water-soluble polymers, such as polyvinyl alcohol (PVA) and polyacrylamide (PAM), which can be added to the water to form a thin film on the surface that reduces evaporation.
- Use a windbreak:
-A windbreak is an effective tool for conserving moisture and preventing evaporation in a variety of different settings, including agricultural fields, gardens, landscaped areas, and natural water resources.-A windbreak is a physical barrier that is designed to protect an area from the wind. It can be a natural feature, such as a hill or a line of trees, or it can be a man-made structure, such as a fence or a wall.
- Shade the reservoir: By shading the reservoir, you can help reduce the amount of solar radiation that is absorbed by the water, which can help reduce evaporation.
- Increase the surface area of the reservoir: By increasing the surface area of the reservoir, we can reduce the depth of the water, which can help reduce evaporation. This can be done by building a larger reservoir or by adding floating devices to the existing reservoir that increase the surface area.